Requires: Design Level
VisualAnalysis with Design, and VisualAnalysis Advanced with Design offer sophisticated code-checking and member sizing capabilities broadly classified as 'design'. The design software implements various material specifications for checking steel, wood, concrete, and cold-formed members. A custom checking module also allows some primitive stress and deflection checks for other materials or custom shapes to help with preliminary design functions.
For the most part design is an "after analysis" process that requires good and reasonable analysis results, this means you need to start with reasonable size members and insure that displacements and stresses are small before you begin any design checks.
VisualAnalysis is also integrated with other IES products which support a variety of specialized design features as described below.
- Design Concepts: terminology and assumptions, like 'bracing' or unity-checks
- Finding Design Features: menus, windows, and more related to design
- Modeling for Design: Things to consider before constructing your model
- Loading for Design: How to set up loads for efficient design checks.
- Analyzing for Design: Things to consider before you start designing.
- The Design Process: Step-by-step through a typical design
Design Report: Double-click on a member in a Design View to see exactly what checks controlled the design! "Design Group Results" report items include specification references, controlling load case, demand and capacity values, as well as critical intermediate results or parameters used like unbraced length, K factors, load duration factors, rebar details, and more.
- Building Code Support
- Steel Design (AISC / CISC)
- Composite Beam Design (AISC)
- Aluminum Design (ADM)
- Wood Design (NDS)
- Concrete Design (ACI)
- Cold-Formed Steel Design (AISI and more)
- Stress & Deflection Checks (Generic & Custom)
- Export to IES QuickFooting, a separate IES product for spread-footing design. This process is summarized on the QuickFooting Design page.
- Export to IES VisualFoundation, a separate IES product for complex mat foundation design. This process is summarized on the VisualFoundation Design page.
Requires: Advanced Level
VisualAnalysis offers integrated connection design via IES VAConnect, a separate suite of tools. Currently the tool provides LRFD steel design of Base Plates and Shear Tab connections.
A Connection Forces table is also available report connection design forces for the members in any design group.
Other Design Support
- Drift Checks? Report items are available to report building drift.
- K Factors: K Factors are calculated automatically. You can include a "Member K Factors" report item to show the values. You may also override these in the advanced level.
- Spreadsheet Reports: may let you quickly perform custom calculations on analysis results.
- Export Capabilities: You may export analysis reports via the clipboard or saving to a file for further design processing on your own.