Three Levels Available
Just enough features to get your job done right.. Compare
the 3 Levels, or view the detailed feature list on this page.
- Analysis-only in 2D and 3D (no Design View window)
- *with Design: adds
code checks, member sizing
- **Advanced with Design:
adds meshed-areas, nonlinear, time-history, and more.
Features & Benefits
Model & Loading
Build or import structural models with confidence.
- Sketch, Import, Generate, or Copy & Paste
- Work with beams, columns, areas instead of low level FEA
- Easily create and edit frames, trusses, tanks, towers, or whatever!
Apply loads to meet code requirements.
- Point & click loading to one or many objects
- Simple and flexible load cases
- Optional, custimizable, and automatic building-code load combinations
Analysis & Results
Get fast, and powerful FEA results.
- 64-bit, muli-threaded, sparse matrix, validated solver
- Static, Dynamic, P-Delta, Direct Analysis, Time-History, and more.
- Automatic statics-checks and basic validations prevent careless mistakes
Understand your structure's behavior.
- Graphical display of displacements, forces, stresses, and reactions
- Detailed member and plate graphs
- Double-click for detailed textual reports
Design & Report
Checks for steel, wood, concrete, cold-formed, and aluminum.
- Member for checks with AISC, NDS, ACI, AISI, and ADM specifications.
- You control bracing, size constraints, and other design parameters
- Fast unity-checks, with optional member-size or detail optimizations
- Concise reports with checks, intermediate values, and code-references
Concise and customizable reports document your project.
- Reporting is a breeze with drag & drop simplicity and WYSIWYG viewing
- Save your customized reports with projects or as templates for future use
- Copy and Paste graphics into reports
- Print reports, or export to Clipboard, or Save to standard file formats
Integrate & Succeed
Coordinate data exchange with IES Tools & BIM.
- Import DXF or spreadsheet data
- Use our free VA-Revit Link for two-way BIM support in Revit
Improve your engineering and productivity with VisualAnalysis.
- Model & Result Validation
- Free Support & Training
- Reasonable Pricing & Licensing
- Work More Efficiently
This is a list of the most important capabilities and limitations, see the software itself, or the Help in VisualAnalysis for the most complete and accurate picture.
- Frames, Trusses, Grids, Beams, Tanks...
- Beam or Truss Members, Plate/Shell Elements
- Elastic Spring Supports
- You are in control of physical members (e.g. girders, multi-story columns)
- Auto-meshed Areas (for easy wall or slab modeling)**
- Tension-only/Compression-only members or spring-supports
- Cartesian, Polar, Cylindrical or Spherical Coordinates
- No built-in size limit (30,000+ nodes are practical)
- Typical Manufactured Shapes: Steel, Wood, Aluminum,
- Parametric, Custom or Shapes imported from ShapeBuilder
- Just about any Material, libraries included,
- CAD-style selection box
- Generate linear or polar or mirror copies
- Simple, Rigid, Semi-Rigid** Connections
- Catenary Cable Elements**
- Many Ways to Construct Models:
- Sketch models graphically
- Copy & Paste existing objects
- Import/Export .DXF files
- Import from Spreadsheet/Clipboard
- Customizable parametric generation
- Automatic Load Cases & Load Combinations
- Built-in Support for IBC 2015, ASCE7-10, etc.
- Customizable Load Combinations.
- Semi-Automatic ASCE 7 Wind Loads (Method 2)
- Ice + Wind pressure on Members (e.g. open towers)
- Copy Multiple Loads from Member to Member
- Import Loads from a Spreadsheet/Clipboard
- Static Loads: Concentrated, Distributed, Pressure,
- Area Loads (keeps model and loads separated so
changes are easy!)
- Area Edge Loads (in or out of plane)
- Dynamic Response Spectra, IBC & Customizable
- Dynamic Forcing Function, Time History analysis**
- Moving Loads** (limited, e.g. crane beams, single load-line)
- Automatic pattern load combinations**
- Import Load Combinations**
Analysis & Results
- Static Analysis
(1st order, P-Delta, Iterated)
- AISC Direct Analysis (notional loads, stiffness reduction)**
- Dynamic Analysis
(Sparse Lanzcos, Newmark)
- Superposition Results and Envelopes**
- Member Internal Forces, Displacements, Diagrams
- Plate Forces, Stress, Contour Diagrams
- Edge Results
- Automatic Mesh Refinement with Auto-Meshed Areas**
- Nodal Reactions, Displacements
- Graphical Results Viewing
- Sophisticated, Customizable Text Reports
- Spreadsheet report, and save directly Excel XLS**
Design Checks & Building Codes*
- Smart and flexible setup: bracing, deflection checks, size constraints
- Steel AISC 360-10 or CSA S16-14 Design for frame and truss members *
- Concrete ACI 318-11 Design of Beams, Columns, Flat Slabs (ACI)*
- Wood NDS 2012 Design for frame and truss members (NDS)*
- Aluminum ADM 2010 Design for frame
and truss members (ADM)*
- Cold-Formed NAS 2012 Design for frame and truss members (NAS)*
RSG Software's CFS is used internally to perform these checks
- Visual bracing locations
- Steel seismic compactness checks
- Stress & Deflection Checks (code agnostic, any material)**
- Integrated Steel Connection Design** via VAConnect
- Steel warping torsion checks**
- Override intermediate values or parameters (e.g. Cb, wood C factors...)**
- Moving Loads and Dynamic results are now checked**
- See Downloads at the bottom of the page for hardware and software requirements.
- Custom Shapes through IES ShapeBuilder (sold separately)
- Spread Footing Design through IES QuickFooting (sold separately)
- Mat Foundation Design through IES VisualFoundation (sold separately)
- Import and Export: DXF, STD, SDNF, TXT, XLS
- Use VA-Revit Link for BIM and Autodesk Revit (free download)
- Import custom cold-formed shapes from CFS (by RSG Software)
- Batch Analysis for command-line operation, programmatic access
- Not an 'ANSYS' or 'NASTRAN', but very practical
- Not a 'turn-key' system for building or truss design.
- Does not run inside AutoCAD
- No internal pipe pressures
- No orthotropic material modeling
- No solid (brick) elements
- No curved beams (simulate with 'chords')
- No staged loading
- Limited nonlinear analysis features
- No pre-stressed or post-tensioned concrete design
- No specialized bridge design or AASHTO support