ShapeBuilder: Section Properties Calculator
Section properties calculator, stress analysis, shape database customization. Get torsion properties, cracked section properties, concrete section capacities and interaction diagrams. Integrates with VisualAnalysis.
Why use ShapeBuilder?
You have a number of choices in the marketplace for section property calculators. ShapeBuilder shines in a number of areas:
- Integrates with the IES Shape & Material database systems
- Exports custom shapes to VisualAnalysis
- Very easy to use, drag & drop, copy & paste operation.
- Advanced analysis and design features not found in other
IES introduced version 7.0 in November 2013 with a great new look and a ton of improvements.
- Easier to Edit Shapes
- DXF Import is very robust
- Holes are Simple, may overlap
- Quick Snapping and Alignment Commands
- Easy Arrays of any Shape (like rebar)
- About 1000x Faster Analysis
What can you do with ShapeBuilder?
Here is a brief look at some of the possibilities.
Calculate Geometric Properties of Any Plane Figure
- Create built-up sections, find their properties
- Shapes with holes or cut-outs
- Area of any plane-geometric outline
- Structural properties
- Shear and torsion properties
- Calculate a Torsion Constant
- Plot Stress Levels under Arbitrary Loads
- Locate the Shear Center
- Locate Extreme Shear Forces
- Plot the Warping Normal Function
Investigate Reinforced Concrete Shapes under Loads
- Find cracked and uncracked properties
- Stress and strain determination
- View 3D Interaction diagrams
- Section capacity determination
Calculate Composite Section Properties
- Properties transformed with modular ratio:
- Example: "Flitch Beams" of Wood and Steel
- Example: Steel Encased in Concrete Sections
- Example: Differing steel Fy (plastic Properties)
- Example: Glass and Aluminum Frame
- Example: Rebar in Concrete Beam or Column
Create Shapes from External Data
- Import complex shapes from DXF, STEP, IGES, TXT and more
Customize the IES Shape Database
- Export shapes to VisualAnalysis
- Import CFS Cold-Formed shape libraries (.scl files) for VisualAnalysis